The G.E.Fogg Building at Queen Mary University London houses the School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, one of the largest departments at the University’s Mile End campus and bears the name of a noted Professor of Botany. The seven-storey, 7,000sqm building houses over 70 permanent academic staff and 1300 undergraduate and postgraduate students. Fraser Brown MacKenna were appointed as Architects and Lead Consultants for the £4m three-phase project to reclad and refurbish the building whilst it remained in occupation.
Working closely with the contractor, the design team resolved the complex details arising from the geometry of the building to develop an overcladding scheme which has created a striking new identity for the School. By enhancing the building envelope and replacing the glazing we have extended the life of the building, improved user comfort, and significantly reduced energy bills (with a 33% reduction in heating demand). Thanks to a Low Carbon Buildings Grant, we were able to install photovoltaic cells laminated between the glazing on the southern and south-eastern elevations, allowing on-site energy generation.
The project involved extensive coordination with building users, including the development of a room by room construction programme to ensure the safety and containment of live laboratories.